If you are wearing braces and are back in school, you probably have had days when keeping your braces clean was challenging. But you can get cavities and bad breath if you don’t practice cleaning your teeth and braces after meals or snacks at school. We know you don’t want that. So, we would like to give you some tips on how to create your dental kit for school and use it!
Make Your Dental Kit for School
When it comes to a dental care kit, adding dental supplies to your purse, backpack, or gym bag is a must! This kit is just for school and is separate from your home dental care supplies. You won’t have to worry about packing it each morning before you run off to school. Here is what you should put in your kit:
- A regular soft-bristle toothbrush
- A toothpaste of your choice (we suggest a travel size for your school kit)
- Flavored floss or floss holders
- Dental wax
- Extra bag of rubber bands
- A small travel pouch to hold all these dental supplies.
7 Tips for Using Your Dental Kit at School
- Brush your teeth after eating.
- Use dental floss when you brush, so you can be sure to remove all particles of food and debris that may be hiding in and around your braces. Platypus floss is made especially for braces.
- Use dental wax if any wires poke your lips or cheeks. Wax will help protect you from cuts or sores until your next appointment. If you need to use wax, it helps if you dry the tooth with a tissue so the wax will stay in place.
- Let your teachers know that you need to clean your teeth after eating or drinking.
- Allow yourself time after meals to go to the bathroom to brush and floss.
- Avoid sugary drinks during sports or after-school activities.
- Any day you do not have enough time to brush, rinse with mouthwash but try to brush as often as you can.
Parents Can Help with Your Dental Kit
- Tell your parents if you need help putting together your school dental kit.
- If necessary, ask your parents to talk to the school staff about any special arrangements you may need so that you can clean your braces after snacks or meals.
Patient Rewards Cards
And don’t forget about your Patient Rewards Card! At every appointment, you have you can earn more punches.
- 6 punches = Judd gift card
- 24 punches = Two movie tickets
- 50 punches = $50 cash
Here is how you can earn punches
- Be on time for your appointment
- A+ on your hygiene
- Wear your ortho t-shirt or wristband to your appointment
- Wear your elastics (rubber bands) well
- Share a photo and tag us on social media
- Like us on Instagram and Facebook
- Give us a review on Google, Healthgrades, Yelp, Facebook
- Show us your good grades (once per quarter)
By following our tips and maintaining good oral hygiene, you can earn punches and protect yourself from getting cavities while wearing braces. But, if you have any problems with your braces or feel a toothache, let your parents know and come in to see us as soon as possible. Our team at Orthodontic Specialists is here to answer any questions and check your teeth to ensure your treatment is progressing as planned and your teeth stay healthy.
Dr. Jeff Erikson